Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My First Blog

Pressure.

That is the emotion I am feeling most strongly right now.

My first blog.  Ever.

And I need to post it live on demand.

I feel like I should write something prophetic.  This is after all the very first step on a journey that will end up...who knows where?  And as Lee Iacocca so famously said:

The discipline of writing something down is the first step toward making it happen.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/first_step.html

Perhaps we begin with an introduction.

My name is Brian Crookes, I teach English/Language Arts at Central Falls High School, and have taught in either the middle or high school for the last 13 years.  I came to be sitting here today because I accepted an invitation, went on a tour, and gave an interview.

The Central Falls School Department has a working collaboration with Rhode Island College, and through that collaboration, I met Dr. Janet Johnson. She was observing my test-yoga classroom, and had the pleasure of watching me fall out of the tree position over and over again in front of my students.  After many Wednesday mornings, I finally managed to hold the pose for more than 3 seconds, and praying immediately on the aura of success I was basking in, she invited me to a conversation with her team here at the school.  I got to meet Dr August, and Dr. Bogad, and lots of other wonderful people who were having meaningful conversations about teaching and learning.

Shortly thereafter, I had the pleasure of touring the General Dynamics-Electric Boat facility in Quonset with Dr. Horowicz, and spending the day together, thinking about our students, was exciting and intriguing, and she mentioned the ASTL program to me.

At the end of the school year, Dr. Johnson asked if she could interview me regarding the Mindfulness and Yoga program which piloted at the HS with my class.  After talking for over an hour, we parted ways, and wished each other a great summer.  I went home inspired with the idea that some people "just get it" and talking to people like Dr. Johnson, who clearly does, is enlightening.

That same day, Dr. August emailed me, inviting me to meet with her about the possibility of joining the ASTL program for the fall.

Needless to say, I was intrigued, I am the curious type, I want to know how and why and what happens?  So here I am.

When I am not teaching, spending time with my Bride or children, or coaching, I like to cook, and golf.

Thank you and good night now!

Brian Crookes

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your blog Brian. Btw would you like check our blog Create A Stunning Blogger Blog. It'll truly benefit for your blogging career. Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete